Thursday, January 15, 2009

Extreme Life Makeover #5 -- How to Stay Connected to God in the Midst of Diapers, Pacifiers and Other Holy Things by Mary Ruth Jaggers

Extreme Life Makeover # 5


How to stay connected to God in the midst of diapers, pacifiers, and other HOLY THINGS…..


Daily life for me is usually about putting out fires and trying not to get behind. And I confess, I like to be busy. In fact, I think I thrive on it. If I’m not accomplishing something throughout the day, whether it is fixing lunches, folding laundry, meeting a work deadline, picking up kids after school, racing to dentist appointments, and/or practices, I feel like I am wasting my time. Maybe it’s a generational thing, or maybe it’s my upbringing on a farm, but I do best on a schedule with a deadline. I am much more task- oriented than relationship-oriented. And it’s a battle I fight with myself daily.

And yet……there is that still small voice, beckoning me……”Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth” (Psalm 46:10)

He wants relationship with us. Isn’t that amazing? The God of the Universe wants to spend time showing us who He is! How can I resist?

So, over the years, I’ve come up with a few ideas that help me stay focused on God throughout my day:

1. Think about God. Sounds pretty simple, but it works. Philippians 4:8 says “Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think on these things”. Instead of listening to the latest gossip at the PTA or watching whatever is on TV, I try to listen to praise music while I’m going through my daily chores. Two of my favorite artists are Nicolle Nordeman, and Chris Rice. I’ve also recently been enjoying Brandon Heath, and Casting Crowns. It’s very easy to download their music to your MP3. Just that one small thing can change the direction of your thoughts for the entire day.

2. Find some friends and explore the Bible together. Since I am task-oriented, I found a Bible study that is fairly structured with daily reading and questions to answer. That might not be for everyone, but there are so many great studies out there. Go to a Christian bookstore, and find something that appeals to you. Or take the bold step to become part of an LXG group. It can be a great way to connect with other believers. Another trick I’ve learned over the years, is to just leave my Bible out where I can see it during the day. Usually that is on the ottoman in our living room. Then if I have a minute or two, I can pick back up where I left off reading before I got interrupted.

3. Recognize that whatever God has given you to do is HOLY. Changing a diaper? Holy? Folding those jeans for the fiftieth time this year? Holy? Fixing Hamburger Helper for dinner? Okay maybe not Hamburger Helper, but fixing a nutritious meal for your family is a holy thing. Why? Because it is a task appointed by God for you to do. “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men” (Colossians 3:23).

Lastly, For you moms who are knee-deep in playdough and Barbie shoes, there is a book that is still in publication that meant a lot to me a few years ago. It’s called “Diapers, Pacifiers, and other Holy Things” by Lorraine M. Pintus.

Happy living!
Mary Ruth Jaggers


Mary Ruth is one of the Founding Partners in the Launch of Phos Hilaron Church and is the mother of 4 great kids. She's a graduate of Georgetown College and does amazing things with fabrics to create one of a kind originals for homes and businesses in her business called Sycamore Creek Originals. You can learn more about her business here.



Jeff Fuson serves as Point Leader for Phos Hilaron Church near Louisville Kentucky. Jeff's # 1 passion is being a husband and daddy. A close second is seeing people grow spiritually. As a Professional Speaker Jeff also serves as a Keynote Speaker & Trainer crafting & delivering high impact keynote addresses & training events for Entrepreneurs, Banks, Credit Unions, and small to medium sized non-profit & for profit enterprises. He's got one incredible wife and 3 awesome children.

No comments: