Friday, July 10, 2009

The Biggest Tombstone ..... Henry Clay in the Lexington Cemetary

I said goodbye to an old friend, Rodney Mann, today at the Lexington Cemetary. A tragic end preceded by a strange twist of fate and a bizarre way to die for a Medical Doctor. I'm sad that we won't get to catch up on this side of life. However, I have a great hope, that one day in a place past this life we'll get to hang out again.

The Lexington Cemetery is a stunning display of God's gift of natural beauty to Kentucky and of our ability to enshrine those we love. This statue perched up a high tower sits on top of a large mausoleum where Henry & Mrs. Clay's sarcophagi rest behind a wrought iron pad-locked gate. A sobering reminder that even if you have the biggest tombstone you're still dead.

So, on this side of the tombstone, while there's still breath in my lungs I will celebrate the moments and sing the days into memory with the ones I love. I will be more passionate about squeezing the juice from the hugs and kisses of little people I love and embracing the ones I'll one day miss more often.

This IS the day that the Lord has made and I WILL REJOICE....

Shalom,

Jeff Fuson

No comments: