Thursday, December 9, 2010

The God I Want!

There was a book written some years ago with the title The God I Want.  If ever there were a recipe for idolatry, that is it.  The God of the Bible is not necessarily the God I want:  my confused desires almost certainly don't fit in with who he actually is, and just as well.  What matters much more is the God who actually made me, the God with whom (whether I want to or not) I have to do business.  And he is so much bigger and greater than anything that I could imagine that I must never imagine I have got him tied down and pigeonholed.  We need to be constantly looking harder at the God of the Bible.  Otherwise we shall discover that gradually the picture we have of him gets domesticated, whittled down to something we can live with.  And gods that we live with comfortably are idols.

From N.T. Wright's book 'Small Faith-Great God' page 28

Posted via email from Jeff Fuson

No comments: