Friday, June 27, 2008

Richard J Foster on Prayer

Check out this great prayer from Richard Foster in Prayer, Finding the Heart's True Home on page 15....

Dear Jesus,
how desperately I need to learn to pray. And yet when I am honest, I know that I often do not even want to pray.
I am distracted!
I am stubborn!
I am self-centered!

In your mercy, Jesus, bring my "want-er" more in line with my "need-er" so that I can come to want what I need.


In your name and for your sake, I pray. -- amen.

This is an exmple of 'simple prayer' and someone taught me this prayer a long time ago and it helped so much to just come to Jesus simply and admit that most of the time I simply don't want to pray and that I prefer to do life my way on my own terms as long as everything is going great. But, the moment the water gets rough I'm scrambling back up into the arms of God begging for safe passage... I bet you do the same thing!

See you later,
Jeff Fuson

No comments: