Friday, July 11, 2008

You are the Average of the 5 People you spend the most time with!

"You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." Jim Rohn

Jim Rohn nailed this down tight!  An ancient book of wisdom called Proverbs in The Bible says the same thing about choosing friends.  

In my desire to grow as a leader it strikes me that I need to be choosing other leaders who are 'further along' and more capable and who are leading more effectively than I am to learn from and to invest my time with.  

It also strikes me that to grow in any area I should find 5 'coaches' or at least buddies who are further down the path than I am.  If I can't find 'live' humans to spend my time with I have a wealth of access to 'Historical Mentors' via biographies, websites, books, audio books, podcasts, etc.  Nearly any leader I'd like to learn from and spend some time with has made her/his thoughts available in some shape or fashion.  No question I'd prefer the live edition, but until then I can ramp up through reading, listening, surfing the web, downloading podcasts & audiobooks, etc.  

For example I'm interested in getting back into running but I have some challenges with knees that were compromised from playing catcher in baseball in my teen years.  So, I need to find a mentor like Jeff Galloway who's 'been there and done that' successfully and has developed a coaching system for mature runners that he believes could help someone 'run for 100 years'!  And, he's living out his own game plan -- he's smokin' what he's sellin'!  

So, even if I can't 'run with him' physically I can run with him via his books and training systems.  

In today's environment it's easy and cheap to access great mentors who can take you to the next level and who can play a huge part in being on your 'A-Team' to take you and your game to a higher level!  

Go find 5 great people to learn from, to hang with, and to be coached by --even if it's a podcast or book!

Ramp Up.
Jeff Fuson

Jeff Fuson serves as Point Leader for Phos Hilaron Church near Louisville Kentucky. Jeff's # 1 passion is being a husband and daddy. A close second is seeing people grow spiritually. Jeff also delivers impacting training events for Entrepreneurs, Credit Unions, and small to medium sized enterprises. He's got one incredible wife and 3 awesome children.

No comments: